.
Riders ________________Calendar _______________ Photos ________________ Godspeedcourier.com
....

Early Bird Crit (Cat4)

I wasn’t exactly thrilled with a 3:30 start time at first but came to realize what the pro riders must already know. The late start time can be a blessing in disguise. I was able to socialize the night before and sleep in with enough time to make it to the race and get in a decent warm up. I initially wanted to arrive super early and do a pre-race ride but some technical difficulties
with the Thule rack I recently installed on my girlfriends car and an accident on the freeway ate up the extra time I had given myself.

For the most part all of the riders seemed competent in their cornering and pack riding skills. If I remember correctly, at this time last year there was a fair amount of skittish riding and words being exchanged. Perhaps I stayed far enough in the front of the race to avoid the shenanigans in the rear or the group may have just been more experienced as a whole.
I found it easy to move around in the pack and didn't have to work hard to move up when I wanted to. There were a couple of break attempts but I did not think they would stay away long. At one point there was an attempt by four or five riders to bridge up to two others who were off the front and I began to worry that it may have been the move to be in. It was still early enough, however, and I resisted the urge to try and go with them hoping that the pack would pick up the pace or that the guys out front wouldn't be able to work effectively.

Fortunately my calculations paid off and the group was together with five to go. I took care not get boxed in and accelerated with any surge to keep a decent place in the front. Leading into the sprint (quite a long distance on this course) I managed to be about 5th or 6th wheel. When I saw it was time to go I clicked down and charged. This is where the early races come in handy in finding out where one needs to improve. As I tried to mash the gears and hold or improve my placing I could see better sprinters passing me on the left. It felt like time slowed down. Although I was pushing with everything I could it felt like I wasn’t spinning fast enough or getting up to speed quick enough. I managed to hold on for 10th place. Not too bad for the first race of the season but I'll have to focus more training on developing force and sprinting form for that decisive last few meters.

No comments: