.
Riders ________________Calendar _______________ Photos ________________ Godspeedcourier.com
....

Mixing it up in the P,1,2 - Cat's Hill 2009

A report on my third P,1,2 race...

Well... it could have gone worse. It wasn't terrible, but I would have been nice to finish. I was close. Completed 55 minutes, which is longer than the last 2 races. I think if it were not for a couple mental errors, I would have finished in the field. There were 105 starters and I believe I out lasted at least 40 of them.
Despite the crazy staging for this race and the LGBR call up of 9 team riders, I managed to get a good spot at the line. Unfortunately I let the nerves get the best of me and didn't get clipped in the first attempt...or the second. Lost about 40 spots going into the first turn. However I was able to move up through turns 1-2 and a bit on the first climb. Without too much panic I gradually moved up further, and after several laps I was situated pretty well in the top half. I was feeling really strong on the climb, never falling off pace and actually passing guys on the hill almost every lap. I think the toughest part for me was moving up on the top of the course before the descent, which would have been ideal. Sometimes I could move forward on the descent, but mainly I would use it for recovery. The wind was a factor on the start/finish straight when it was really strung out and the front was on attack. Only one or twice did I have to fight to stay on a wheel. There were
not any big breaks or anything. A few guys here and there were off the front but not with much distance. I thought I was good once the pace finally slowed down after 35 minutes, but I failed to take all my chances to move up at that point and just fell too complacent with where I was at. Then of course, it started to speed up. It would have surely taken an attack like effort to get past more than a few guys and I guess I wasn't thinking of it. Before it would register that I should do such a thing, I realized that my position that once was the middle of the pack was now towards the back. From then on I had to deal with riders fading a bit on the hill, which left more ground to close at the top and so on. I didn't think I was going to get dropped since my legs were still good on the climb and better than the others hanging out at the back with me, but with 9 to go I climbed the hill and just ran out of gas on the top section and couldn't hold a wheel before the descent. Got gapped and stuck in the
wind by the flats. Did one more lap solo and called it. I feel not having any gel/gu shots to take after 40min. of racing was a mistake. It seemed like a quick sugar rush could have pushed me through it. Definitely learned a little more about the pace and how much more thought goes into making a good move or staying attentive. Overall I felt good and a bit stronger. I'll just have to tighten up my game next time. I'm confident my DNF streak has come to an end.

B

No comments: